Monday, May 30, 2005

Fish day One

Fish cookery begins. I love fish, so I was really looking forward to this. We prepared two fish dishes with sides. Here they are:

poached salmon Posted by Hello
I made a court bouillon and poached the salmon. Virginia and I whipped up the hollandaise sauce and Charles sauteed the spinach. This was my favourite fish dish, the hollandaise even tasted good with the salmon. The other fish, we didn't take a good picture of it as is didn't taste or look very exciting. It was Snapper En Papilotte. My favourite part of the meal though --

aioli Posted by Hello
Aioli. A delicious, garlicky mayonaise-like spread. I injured my shoulder making it, but it was so worth it. You take half a cooked russet potato, still hot, and mash it with three cloves of finely minced garlic. Let it cool a bit. Whip in one egg yolk and then slowly beat in 200mls of olive oil. Let it down with the potato water if it is too thick. Serve with crostini. Do not breathe on anyone after consumption. Between the threee of us, we almost killed our whole batch of aioli!
Anyway, here is the whole spread.

the spread Posted by Hello

No comments: