Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Blecch

First of all, my apologies for not updating sooner. I have been feeling a little stressed from both school AND work, so I have been spending my free time drinking and watching brain rotting TV. Back to the grind... I am just going to date these posts for the days they apply to. So even though I am typing this in May, it is for April 26th or something like that.

We still have Crazy Chef. And its hot AND we were frying today. I forgot to take pictures again -- I blame it on heat exhaustion, so I will share the view from my classroom with you instead.

view from my class.. Posted by Hello
Sometimes its hard to concentrate on lectures when I have that to look at.
Anyway, back to class. My group is assigned Celeriac Fritters and Fried Eggplant with Tomato Sauce. Still have two fairly apathetic guys in my group, so I wasn't too surprised when they elected me boss or "chef". :rolleyes: The recipes themselves were fun to execute, although the heat in the kitchen started to get almost overpowering, especially once the deep-frying started. One of the boys in my group was responsible for heating our HUGE pot of oil, and he got it WAY too hot. We were sharing it with another group, and one of them tried to put a slice of eggplant in the pot. We were supposed to be SHALLOW frying the eggplant. I stopped him, so he grabbed a spoon out of a pot of water they had on the stove and plunged it into the boiling oil. Anyone who knows anything about boiling oil will know what happened next. The oil just exploded everywhere. Fortunately, we all jumped back in the nick of time, but that was very nearly a hideous kitchen accident.
The eggplant was SO good. And this from someone who hates eggplant. Buutery, creamy interior, crispy exterior, fresh tasting tomato sauce that cut through any residual oiliness... I am so glad I am learning how to cook!
The Celeriac fritters were also nice, but I couldn't bring myself to eat more than one, after standing over the oil for so long.

No comments: