Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Chilled Fennel Soup, Killer Fish Cakes

 

It was hot the other day ~ by Vancouver standards that is. I wanted to make a simple soup, with some seafood and salad. THis is what I came up with.

I didn't write a recipe for any of this as it was so off the cuff. THe Soup was a garlic clove, some mint, a handful of almonds, half a cucumber, a fennel bulb ( blanched) and some seasoning thrown in the food processor. I strained the resulting mixture, yeilding a silky broth. Just before serveing, a spoonful of yogurt was stirred in. The soup kicked ass. I was so happy with it that I am having a fennel oriented dinner tonight.

The fish cakes were also absurdly simple; I poached a small piece of cod, flaked it and mixed it with some diced smoked albacore tuna, mayonnaise, lemon juice and crushed stoned wheat thins. Formed patties, dipped them in more crushed crackers and pan fried. Yum. I will write a recipe for them next time as they were worth repeating.

4 comments:

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

I hope you had a Happy Canada Day. When I have a moment I'll post a tourtière recipe.

Anonymous said...

Good Morning! At last this works.
It's been disabled for a couple days. Something about Zone Alarm which came to this machine through the back door, so to speak. Anyway, how are you two doing? I was going to call but didn't want to wake you.
Remember the big weekend at Kamloops. I know you aren't planning on it. I just wanted to let you know I'd be thinking of you and wishing you'd be there as well. Lana and Jim should be here tomorrow night and take us up on Sat. The kids both have to work Sunday so won't be coming....unless.
Love and hugs,
Grandma Bauer

Deetsa said...

I love fish cakes. They certainly look quite yummy. YOu know.. I've never actually had fennel. Always been a bit scared of screwing it up and wasting money. Or not liking it and wasting money. Dang Scottish tendencies.

Anonymous said...

The fish cakes look great!