Monday, March 23, 2009

Sablefish with Miso Butterscotch and Braised Leeks

 

Last year, on my New York trip, I experienced a flavour combination that I could never forget. At Tailor, I had pork belly with miso butterscotch. The salty and sweet were so perfect together, I kept wanting to try it at home. Finally, I got brave.



4 tablespoons butter
1 cup of packed brown sugar
¾ cup heavy whipping cream


In a heavy saucepan, melt butter over low to medium heat. Then add all dark brown sugar at once and stir with wooden spoon until sugar melted. Cook for about 3-5 mins until sugar resembles molten sand. Whisk in Cream (off heat and be careful, bubbling happens) and cook for another 10 minutes, stirring occaisionally. Finish with miso paste to taste.

The sablefish is simply seasoned with salt and roasted. The leeks braised with ginger. The result was decadent and every bit as good as I imagined. Rob wanted to eat the butterscotch straight up, but I wouldn't let him. There would be pork belly for dinner the next night.....<
 

1 comment:

Deetsa said...

Hmmmm... Interesting twist on the sauce. I wonder if the salty of the miso would make the butterscotch taste like the salt caramels of Brittany.