As I was reading through my blogs this morning, I discovered today was Sugar High Friday - hosted this time by Alanna with a theme of Surprise Inside. I spent all day at work mulling things over in my head, came home, surfed a couple recipes and then set to work. The result? A cardamom babycake with broiled figs:
The surprise inside? A rosewater mascarpone cream filling!
I have had a small obsession with rose and cardamom for a while now and I came up with the basic concept at work. I am just not comfortable baking without a recipe though, so I cruised the internet until I came across Cupcake Blog and a recipe for Churros and Chocolate Cupcake, which I adapted to fit my needs.
Cardamom Baby Cakes with Rosewater Mascarpone Cream
1 cup butter
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs
2-3/4 cups all purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons cardamom
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Beat butter and sugar in a mixer until fluffy
2. Add cardamom and vanilla, beat until well combined.
3 add one egg at a time, beating well after each, about 20 seconds
4. in a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt
5. add flour mixture and milk to the electric mixer, alternating and starting and ending with flour, beat well after each addition
6. Scoop into greased ramekins, filling almost to the top.
7. Pipe some of the Mascarpone cream into each cake.
8. cover with a teaspoon of batter
9. bake for ~35 minutes or until golden
Beat 250 mls of mascarpone with 2 teaspoons rose water and two tablespoons honey.