Thursday, November 23, 2006

Seared Salmon with Wild Mushroom Pilaf and Provencale Vegetables

I know, I know, more salmon... But this was really good (it is an older picture though, I haven't been passionate about food this week).


The salmon is cooked very simply, little salt and pepper. I intended to make a fire roasted tomato relish to go with it, but I couldn't find the tomatoes. Instead, I went with a tomato mango jam from the Stock Market on Granville Island.
For the rice, I took a small amount of porcini mushrooms and rehydrated them with hot water. I drained the mushrooms and used the liquid to cook a basic multigrain rice blend. The drained mushrooms were chopped and sauteed with shallots and fresh thyme, a mixture that I stirred into the cooked rice.
Provencale vegetables took their name from the herb blend I used. I cooked each component separately in foil pouches to make sure they all had an even amount of doneness. For the shiitake mushrooms, I tossed them with the herbs, a teensy bit of minced garlic and some olive oil and popped the packet in the oven for five minutes. The carrots, same treatment, but more llike 30 mins and the golden beets were sliced into 1/2 inch rounds, treated as above and roasted for 40 mins. Everything was tossed together just before service and heated for five minutes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Maybe I will steal the idea for the Wild Mushroom Pilaf for my Final Practial in American Regional. It sounds delicious!

kickpleat said...

damn, that looks good.