Monday, April 17, 2006

Happy Easter

Yes, I know, Easter was yesterday. But I was to tired to write yesterday and this is all about Easter with the Catholic priests.
I had been informed that Sunday lunch was always brunch, so I made some pancakes, a variation on an egg roll up posted by Joe of Culinary in the Dessert, bacon, salad, veggie tray etc. Lunch is right at noon and at 11:45, one of the priests let me in on a little secret ~ they have soup everyday! 15 minutes to make soup; I cranked the heat on the stove, blended leftover mashed potatoes with turkey stock, added in leftover sliced cooked carrots, some herbs and spices and 15 minutes later, soup was on the table.
Dinner was ham with sugar free blueberry-dijon glaze, sauteed green beans with toasted almonds, roasted yams, dried cranberry rice pilaf, salad, easter bread and sugar free lemon bars.

A successful dinner all around and I came home to my favourite supper, Tuna Tataki.

The cranberry pilaf was a straight swap in a recipe from the cherry marketing board.





Cherry Rice Pilaf


1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup dried tart cherries
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme (or 1 teaspoon dried)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh marjoram (or 1 teaspoon dried)
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon margarine
3 cups cooked rice

Put onion, celery, cherries, walnuts, thyme, marjoram, pepper and margarine in a large nonstick skillet. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat 10 minutes, or until vegetables are tender; stir occasionally. Add rice; mix well. Cook 3 to 4 minutes, or until thoroughly heated.


Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 191 Calories; 6g Fat (28.7% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 30g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 33mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fruit; 1 Fat.

1 comment:

Cookie Madness said...

I love the Cherry Marketing Institute site.

I'll have to try this. I make a similar rice, but with pistachios instead of walnuts.