Friday, April 21, 2006

Spring on a plate

I keep getting these spring cravings; morels, asparagus, fiddleheads, etc. Last night I managed to fulfill all of those cravings in one fell swoop. My market foray yielded wild onions, fresh morels, fiddleheads, fresh basil, crisp-tender asparagus and beautiful strawberry tomatoes on the vine. I left the tomatoes on the vine, drizzled with olive oil and sea salt and roasted them quickly at 500f. A drizzle of balsamic and they went onto the plates, still on the vine. I sliced open the morels and sauteed them in lots of butter. When I was satisfied, I drained them and used the butter and the same pan to make my roux for the creamy pasta sauce. The asparagus was quickly blanched, the fiddleheads were sauteed for 10 minutes, the wild onion was chopped and stirred into the cream sauce. Once the pasta was boiled and ready, I tossed everything together and served alongside the roasted tomatoes........

I passed the initial trial period at work; thank you all for your positive comments. I did cut myslef yesterday, but it wasn't a flesh wound, it was a nail wound ~ I shaved half of my nail off my left index finger. Hurts like nobody's business.

Must run, have to work today and then I am off to my favourite meat supplier, Trimpac, to pick up some hog casings and sodium nitrite.

2 comments:

Sara said...

what a wonderful sounding dinner linda. i can almost see it from your description. i have resolved that this is the year i try fiddleheads.

Erika W. said...

Oh that dinner sounds scrumptious.

Congrats on passing the trial! Aren't those fingernail "wounds" the worst!