Saturday, April 07, 2007

A little adventure

I was off on Friday, so I decided to go to Ikea. Don't ask me why! It is a production and a half to get to the Richmond Ikea, so I decided to aim for Coquitlam. I hopped on the Skytrain, got off at the appropriate station and decided I would walk it. Silly me. After 20 minutes of walking on Loughheed Highway, I dashed across three lanes of traffic and waited for the bus! By the time I got there, I was starving, so I broke down and ate in their restaurant.
 

chicken caesar salad
 

Lingonberry mousse.

I had a long trek home with lots of detours and shopping ~ nice to have a day where I didn't have to be anywhere. Although I did have a date with Tony Bourdain. Or rather his cookbook. I was asking for dinner ideas a week or so ago and a BB member suggested a recipe from the Les Halles Cookbook. Can you believe I have had this book for almost a year and haven't cooked anything from it??
 

Pork Cooked in Milk with Polenta and roasted Brussels sprouts.
I am reposting the recipe here as I found it on the internet. I followed it precisely, although my pork was smaller. (1 1/2lbs)

Roti de Porc au lait.

3lb boneless pork loin roast
2 TBL olive oil
1 TBL butter
1 med onion chopped
1 carrot finely chopped
1 leek white part only finely chopped
1 garlic clove finely chopped
1 TBL flour
2 cups whole milk
1 bouquet garni

Season pork with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in the dutch oven. When the oil is hot add the butter. Brown the roast on all sides. Remove the roast from the pan and set aside onthe large plate. Add the onion, carrot, leek, and garlic and stir over high heat unitl soft and caramelized.
Stirring constantly, add the flour and cook for 2 minutes, then add the milk and the bouquet garni. Bring to a boil and cook over high heat for 5 minutes. Add the pork and any juices that have collected on the plate. reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover and cook over low heat for 1 hour, making sure to periodically rotate the pork. (the sugars in the milk can cause sticking and scorching) Remove the pork and allow to rest for 15 minutes.

Remove and discard the bouquet garni. Strain the cooking liquid into a small pot and bring to a boil. Using a hand blender, puree the sauce until foamy. Adjust the seaoning as needed. Carve the pork and arange on a serving platter. Spoon the sauce over and around the pork and serve immdiately.
Reply With Quote

1 comment:

Dawna said...

Ah, yes - the pork cooked in milk! It took me a while to get to that recipe, even though it fairly leaped off the page when I first picked up the book. It was delicious, though - and yours looks beautiful. If I recall, we had rice to absorb the remaining, delicious sauce, but polenta sounds like it was also a good match.