Sunday, November 27, 2005

Extreme Cooking

Ok, maybe not quite EXTREME cooking, but definetly (how do you spell that word..) getting down and dirty with the food. See, last weekend, Rob and I went to Chinatown for some yummy buns and on our way back, we stopped at T&T Supermarket. The first thing you see when you walk in to the store are the huge tanks full of live fish. And I made a beeline for the trout tank. Last year we started buyiong trout at T&T and it is so cheap and fresh, we never looked back. You pick out the one you want, the fish guy nets it, shows it to you and then kills it for you and guts it. Am I getting too graphic for a food blog? I happen to think that if you are going to eat it, you need to understand where it comes from. Anyway, we but it in our basket, got all the necessary vegetables and checked out. This particular fish wasn't a flopper, but sometimes they get a case of the post mortem twitches which can be very offputting, especially if you are on a crowded skytrain...
I cooked the trout whole and served it with whole wheat couscous and a fennel and orange salad with pomegranate dressing inspired by Randi of Culinary Adventures.


2 comments:

Deetsa said...

Firstly, I want to say I am so glad there is someone else out there who finds that word 'definitely' such a bugaboo. LOL I even had to look it up on my Encarta again to be sure I spelled it right ;)
I know the fish section you're talking about in T&T. Lots of pools of different fish, shellfish and crustaceans, all of them alive and kicking. I remember when I took my sister to T&T for the first time. We happened to go past the fish section when a fish was being whacked. My sister nearly screamed and practically dragged me out of the store. Been hard to convince her to go back since.

I haven't had trout since it was caught wild at a remote lake a couple years back. It was roasted over an open fire. I remember how yummy it was. Gorgeous place that lake, and even more remote than the place I live... is that possible? LOL

Unknown said...

LOL about your sister! Your last trout meal sounds idyllic ~ call me crazy, but sometimes I crave remoteness and wildness. Wanna swap for a week ;D Just kidding, I have a feeling my other half would go a little stir crazy.