Thursday, August 11, 2005

International~Espagne

We moved on to Spain today in International and I did remember my camera. However, Picasa is being stubborn and doesn't want to post all my photos so I get to do this a little bit at a time. To start, we made a citrus salad with crispy fried capers. This was so good, the sour sweet fruit pairing beautifully with the salty tang.

We served it with a very bruschetta-esque Tomato bread. Essentially baguette rubbed with garlic, sliced, toasted, drizzled with the caper oil rubbed with ripe tomato. I love this sort of food...

Those who know me well, know that I have a real weak spot for gazpacho. So I was very happy when I saw it in today's menu. It ended up not being my favourite version of gazpacho ever, but it was ok. Ours was very elegant and I like the peasanty, chunky soups.

The final course was also one of my favourite dishes ever (maybe I need to move to Spain...) PAELLA!! I got to make it in our group, and it turned out really well. i should have salted it a touch more and it would have been nice with some chorizo, but we didn't have that option...

After all the eating was done, I headed off to the common dish area to wash the plates. It kind of stinks in there and it is really disorganised. I finished running the dishes through the machine and went to empty the pre-rinse water-recycling sink. I lifted out the strainer basket and looked in. And promptly choked back a gag. There was a layer of mouldy scunge a quarter inch thick on the sides. And two inches of pinkish tinned sludge on the bottom. I can't even describe to you what it smelled like ~ everyone else had to leave, the smell was so intense. A smart person would have put everything back and pretended they saw nothing... No, I had to scrape and scrub the damn thing out, choking as I did. I felt sick for about an hour after leaving school today....

No comments: