Thursday, August 11, 2005

Ode to the Tomato

Google "stoney Paradise" and "Tomato" and you will find pages of rants and raves about Milan's amazing crop. I have been counting down the days till his appearance and I heard through the eGullet grapevine that he would be at Granville Island today. There is just one small problem with that ~ the whole of Foodie Vancouver heard he would be there and these people are insatiable AND earlybirds. As I trudged off to school at the crack of dawn, people were already lining up at the market to take a shot at convincing him as to why THEY deserve more than one basket of sungold tomatoes. By the time I made it to the market, around 1:30. he had packed up and left ~ sold out before 9am. This would end tragically if it weren't for foresight and a very sweet wonderful friend. Last night, I called Katie and told her about the tomato guy and asked her if she would mind terribly going in early and picking up some tomatoes for me. Despite the fact that she didn't actually have to be there till 11:30, she went down at 7:30 or 8:00 this morning and stood in line with all those ravenous tomatophiles. thanks to her, I can share this with you....

These tomatoes taste like tomatoes ought to. And the Sungolds are like candy, each little golden yellow ball bursting with sugary acidity. . I keep wandering past the bowl to pop another one in my mouth...
Dinner tonight was tomato heavy: Tomato and Vidalia Onion Salad (the onion smuggled across the border in a parcel...) and Tomato and Bacon sandwhiches.. This is Rob's plate in the photo:

An essential ingredient of this meal was my Fleur de Sel... Tragedy struck.

That's right, no more Fleur De Sel!!! ANd I can't find that brand anywhere in the city............

4 comments:

Little Mama said...

Those tomatoes look divine. I could live on tomatoes in the summer. OK, dumb question, but what is Fluer de Sel?

Erika W. said...

What brand of Fleur De Sel is it? Maybe that's something that can be found here in the states and shipped over? Let us know- I'm sure many happy shoppers would love to help!

Traveling Em said...

they don't sell that fleur de sel at the stock market anymore? i had a tragedy happen with mine. knocked off the edge of the counter, half swept away with the broom. sad! (punky, it's french sea salt, larger grained and devine).

glad milan's finally back in full force and that you got some of his sungold's. i had some that had been frozen and they were still near perfection.

love the new format!

Randi said...

You cant find vidalia's in Vancouver? We get them by the droves here in Ontario. I read in awe the vancouver boards on egullet. I wish the toronto folks would be that committed to getting together.