Monday, April 18, 2005

Bloody Sauces...

Well, not literally bloody. Today we had to make mayonnaise, hollandaise, beurre blanc and bechamel. Honestly, the only one that worked out for me was mayonnaise. And I "forgot" to take pictures today, so no exciting photos...
Chef Soren showed up this morning, hobbling in pain and just stuck a round long enough to let us know that Chef Julian would be taking over the class.. Chef Julian is ok, but he has a tendency to skim and not hit the details and talking points the same way as Soren. Anyway, we got our tests back from last week - two A's !! I got 100% on one and 99% on the second. And here I was thinking I totally f-ed it up. It all went downhill from there. Our beurre blanc split, our hollandaise split ( I didn't make the hollandaise, so I won't take responsibility for it...) and our bechamel tasted odd. It was the best looking, but something in the ingredients went wrong. It had a faintly acidic flavour which no one could identify or pin down a possible cause for. Very frustrating day all round. On the plus side, we got out of class early, I blasted through my homework and I am going to treat myself to a Corona on the patio in the sun.

No comments: