Friday, April 01, 2005


That's right. Today was the day. I was so excited, I couldn't sleep in this morning, lying awake, counting the hours till orientation... I didn't take any pictures at the school as I was too nervous, but as soon as I got home, out came the camera. I picked up my uniform today and my knife kit, along with the reams of student paperwork.

Look at all those beautiful knives - all mine....
I also got to meet some of my fellow students and my chef instructors. The head che instructor is a very young english (ish) guy, Chef Julian. Very exuberant, cheerful approachable, nothing like the stereotype of "Chef". The other Chef I met was Chef Soren, and older, swedish giant of a man. Although he has a sense of humour, he came across as a little sterner and more serious.
My class seems to be a healthy mix of ages. The first person I met was a girl fresh out of High school, with green(!?) mascara. The second person I met was an English woman about my age. The men seem to outnumber the women by two to one. It never occurred to me that i was trying to enter a male dominated field....
Anyone, that is all for today. The real stuff starts at 8 on Monday morning....

1 comment:

Traveling Em said...

I can't see the knives. Wah! I can't see the multiple picture day pictures either. But I can see the first day and the paella pan one. Anyway, back to the point! I hope your real first day is going great today. I'm so excited for you!