Thursday, April 14, 2005

Putting it all together Part 1

I know I mentioned last week that I am going to try to incorporate what I learn at school into a home project. This week's project will be a two parter. I started by making consommé, which I will hopefully get around to posting directions for on a new site that I set up just for recipes. The consommé starts off looking pretty ugly, a mixture of egg whites, ground chicken, and mirepoix with a half burnt onion throw in for colour. Oh, and the stock, of course.

in the beginning Posted by Hello
Then, bring it up to a simmer, stirring frequently. Once it hits the simmer, stop stirring. Let it simmer gently, undisturbed, for an hour.

At the end.. Posted by Hello
At this point, I cut a hole in the "raft" and gently ladled out the clear broth, running it through a cheesecloth lined sieve. Et Voila!

beautiful clear consommé Posted by Hello
Part 2 will be turning it into chicken soup.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful looking consomme, Linda...tell Rob that I hope he's feeling better soon!

Anonymous said...

Looks wonderful! I think I had what you guys have had last week. Never fear Rob, it will get better!

Anonymous said...

May I borrow the picture of the Consomme for my blog? My camera only took very shacky and out of focused pictures of the consomme and I would like to post a picture of it.

Thank you so much!